Thursday, January 17, 2008

January update




SF One World
24 Hours to make a difference


I would sincerely like to thank all the SFDS families, friends and individuals who have so generously contributed to the Central Asian Institute. As of today I have raised nearly $20,000 towards my goal of $50,000. If you have not already donated to the Central Asian Institute you can donate online by writing “SF ONE WORLD” in the comment line, on the donation link at: http://www.ikat.org/ or you can print out a pledge form linked to this blog. The pledge form can be sent to my attention at SFDS with a check made out to the Central Asian Institute. Thanks again for all your support.

Many of you may already know as part of the summer reading curriculum for the SFDS faculty I read the book, Three Cups of Tea. It’s a wonderful and inspiring book that has been on the New York Times bestseller list for many months. The book, and its author Greg Mortenson are obviously very inspirational to me. Greg Mortenson founded the Central Asian Institute in 1996 to build schools (primarily for girls) in the remote mountain regions of central Asia. Last fall, I decided to build a school through the Central Asian Institute.

My passion for cycling and inspiration to build a school, led me to enter a 24-hour bike race. The race, “24 hours in the old pueblo” is located just outside of Tucson, Arizona. I am entering this 24-hour race as a “solo” competitor, racing on a single speed (bike with one gear) mountain bike. Yes, I fully admit it’s a crazy notion to race in a 24-hour event. I am hoping this commitment will help inspire friends, family and individuals to contribute to this very worthy cause. I am using this race to raise the $50,000 it will cost to build a school and endow it for five years. It's a very ambitious goal, but I know I will be able to reach it with everyone’s help. Promoting education and literacy in one of the poorest and most volatile countries in the world is important work. Many of these regions in Pakistan and Afghanistan that the schools are being built have a literacy rate of less than 5%! The options for young people are few. Fundamentalism in the region is on the rise. Pakistan is a country in crises. Educational institutions are the most important stabilizing force in a developing country. Our actions really will make a difference in this part of the world.

My training has been going well. I feel I will be up for the challenge come February 16th. This past weekend was an endurance smorgasbord. Friday night, I ran on Mount Tamalpias for over two hours on some of the most amazing trails in North America. On Saturday morning, I road out to the end of every accessible pier from Mill Valley to just north of the San Francisco International airport. My goal was to spend at least eight hours in the saddle, riding fast flat miles and ride over, through and around urban obstacles. Done. Sunday, I woke up early for a swim and then I road to camp Tamarancho with the Tamalpais High School Mountain bike team. I kept most of the varsity riders out of breath and the fastest seniors within my sights. They are an inspiring group of young cross county riders.
I am so lucky to have these amazing experiences. Thanks again for your help.

Sincerely,

Herb Bool

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Right on bro, sweet pic too. Keep at it!